Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Has anyone seen my money tree?

I toured a school called Haugland Learning Center last night. I basically sat in the car after I left and cried for Nate. It was a school aged/preschool center through 22 yrs old. It even helps them with job placement. It was just too much for me. I am not ready to look that far ahead. I can't imagine my seet little guy learning to do laundry and other things in a center like that. I suppose I am in denial but it was excrutiatingly hard to be there and see his future. I felt like SCROOGE watching it all from a bubble and realizing how much harder I have to work to get him to a good place so that we don't have to go down such extreme roads.
This morning I toured Oakstone Academy. It is a preschool center for kids 2 1/2 to age 6. It was very nice. I could send Nate there. It is so complicated though because we need to coordinate a prechool program with a home based 1 on 1 ABA program. Oakstone has 50/50 typical kids to Autistic kids. We will have to see if Nate even qualifies. He has such an extreme level of need that he may be disruptive at a level that isn't able to be handled. Most of this stems from his lack of ability to communicate verbally. We will continue with the PECS and hope we can make leaps and bounds there. The school is skilled in PECS and will work with him although only a SMALL handful of their students are non-verbal like Nate. This will be an uphill battle.
Did I mention the tuition for these badboys? We qualify for the Autism Scholarship in Ohio which pays for 20 grand a year.....well Oakstone Tuition is about 30 grand a year (and that is just the HALF DAY program)- plus we will have a home based ABA program or some sort of supplemental OT/ST program which will run about another 30 grand a year. At this point, that part is out of pocket entirely. Nate may be eligible for Medicaid- but it is doubtful it will pay for much- and won't come through before he turns three anyways. It will pay for things such as transortation to and from school and things likethat- but if you know me at all you know I would never put my kids on a bus- ESPECIALLY Nate. I will personally make sure my baby is dropped off at school and that he is set up for success. Every day. It is my job. Aaron and I know I will never go back to work. Nate is now my job....and I can't imagine a better boss. (I just wish the pay was a little better ;).
So if anyone sees my money tree, let me know. I am gonna need it. How do young families on one income pay for this type of thing? Nobody prepares for it- so what do you do? Sacrifice therapies for your child?? Not a chance.

No comments: