Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Where the wild things are

ZOO TRIP! Nate's class was headed to the Phoenix Zoo for a field trip again this year and I was able to chaperone. It was about 15 kids with Autism from Nate's school. This was just a trip for them, not the mainstream kiddos. I love love love that I can be so present in my kids' activities. The only bummer was that it was 36 DEGREES outside that day!!! Not the norm for Arizona!
 
The kids started in an education room to learn about animals, reptiles, and insects through puzzles and hands-on learning.
 
 
 
 
 
This was Nate by a huge snake skin.
 
They brought around a few different types of creatures for the kids to touch. Nate couldn't touch most because they had fur (allergies-blah), but he was able to touch a turtle and a hissing cockroach! (sorry my pictures are bad...I couldn't bring the big camera AND wrangle Nate/other special needs children at the same time. Had to settle for the small camera.)
 
As always, Nateman loved the carousel.
 
 
Then we took the safari train ride around the park. This really picked up the wind and it was freezing!! Nate looked right at me and said, "Chin!", and then grabbed my scarf to put on himself. :) It's all yours, buddy! I guess I didn't prepare for the cold too well! We're not in Ohio anymore, I suppose..My blood has thinned.
 
 
 
The kids got to go touch and feed the sting rays next. Nateman didn't want to take off his gloves to do it, and I can't say I blamed him! So we just watched. Afterwards I decided to sign Nate out from his class so we could go do some of the things at the zoo that Nate wanted to do....like ride the carousel again and play on this wooden tree house. He has trouble focusing on animals out in a field (he is nearsighted) and doesn't seem to enjoy it much. So I figured we would just have a little Mom/Nate time until we were frozen and needed to go home.
 Nate's class this year is fairly high functioning, so that helps. They are almost all verbal, where Nate is severely limited. Nate is on the lower end of the class in regards to communication, but I really like him being around higher functioning autistic kids. I think it really curbs his behavior issues as he is not feeding off issues of those around him.
 
Overall, we had a great trip! Maybe next field trip will be a touch warmer. :)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: