Wednesday, March 26, 2008

ABA ABA ABA ABA ABA ABA ABA ABA


Ok- this is ALL we talk about. My head is exploding. We are starting to piece together Nate's ABA( http://autism.about.com/od/alllaboutaba/a/abaoverview.htm ) program. When I say "piece", I mean it. We are running our program through Children's Hospital as our painfully lacking insurance will cover some of the outrageous expenses. There will be a team of aides that work with Nate directly though, and it is our job to find, hire, and train them. Um, say wha?? I have been agonizing over this for months and months--- how the hell am I supposed to put 40 HOURS of therapy and training into the hand sof some yahoo I have never met, that has NEVER done this before, and has never worked with Autistic children???!!?? That seemed unreal to me. Especially being the control freak that I am, there is no way in hell I cam leave someone alone with my child, in a room in my home that I am not in.

Well, today I am (thankfully) singing a different tune. My mom friend, Vicki, is a Psycholgy professor at Ohio Wesleyen. She actually teaches classes in, you guessed it, behavior modification. I am ecstatic. What a great resource to find students that are actually interested in this field and would care about the work they are doing!!! Plus I have the added bonus of someone I know and trust recommending sharp students.

I can't tell you what I huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Who knows what the next few weeks will bring- with the interviewing and our intake meeting with Nate's lead Psychologist- but it is starting to "sit" better with me anyways. Well, that and the fact that I am installing a closed circuit video monitoring system in the playroom.
**pic of Nate with his "cheesy poofs" aka rice cakes.

No comments: