Friday, March 2, 2012

He holds her hand, She holds his heart...

Nate has trouble connecting with people.

Actually, he is the sweetest kid around-and is especially easy going with new people in his life. Whether it's a new aide, new teacher, or even family he doesn't see very often..no worries, Nate just rolls with it.

...But I am talking about really connecting. He just doesn't do that very often-especially with peers. Now that he is older, kids rarely have time for him and he is oblivious to them. Don't get me wrong, it breaks my heart EVERY time a kiddo does attempt to engage Nate and invites him to play...but it falls on deaf ears and Nate goes into a script about Elmo from a game he recently played while the other kid just moves on. It seems that Nate has no clue what just happened...but I know. What if he does know? What if he can't STOP what's going on in his head and with his body, but wishes he could? I know I am not alone in that thought. I am sure all parents of children that can't or won't speak, wonder what their child thinks about. I just want a day pass into his head..to see what's in there and how it all works.

But my Nateman DOES connect with one kiddo...and that's Neve. It melts my heart to see how their relationship is forming. She loves him so very much and is so PROUD to tell everyone about her big brother. She also asks questions daily about Autism and why Nate has it. She tells me how she will always help him and how she can't wait to get home to show him something. It does go both ways too. She drags him around, "helping" him in her own little way, and he tolerates all of it. He follows her and plays with her-unlike any other kid in his world. I love it.I love that he was gifted this brazen, bossy, smart, caring, sister that I know will dedicate herself to take care of her big brother. I love that she was gifted with a sweet, funny, easy going, brother that is going to teach her life lessons that I couldn't if I tried. I guess I am just feeling the love tonight and I am so thankful they have each other.