Thursday, July 31, 2008

WAVES of progress.....

The day finally came. We have waited almost 2 years for this one "small" accomplishment.

I was getting ready to load the kiddos in the car this morning for a coffee run (which we do often!), and Aaron said, "Bye-bye, Nate"- like he always does- and Aaron waved at Nate. Nate looked RIGHT AT HIM, and waved back. I almost peed myself. Aaron and I looked at each other with disbelief---we were speechless. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? Wow. We were floored. Nate lost skills, including waving, when he regressed almost 2 years ago. It just went away one day 'POOF'! ..and it came back the exact same way.
It is also one of those stereotypical autism traits- "does he point? does he wave?". Well, ya know what?? My kid DOES wave!!! ya-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are on this crazy biomedical adventure and sometimes I have basically lost my mind--but then my little guy shows us a little nugget of hope- that somewhere in that fog, lies my little boy. The little boy that smiles, hugs, laughs, AND WAVES.

Maybe we ARE doing the right thing--we will keep up with all of our supplements and therapy--and try not to go broke in the process. (maybe I can sell the cat...hmmmmm...)

**Here is a video of a few of Nate's skills lately. The waving isn't the best he was doing today- but it was all I could get on film at the end of a long day. :)**

No comments: